We typically place our puppies with guardian homes when the puppy is between 8 – 12 weeks of age.
In order to be considered as a guardian family, you must be able to meet these minimum requirements and provide the following for the dog:
- You must be a homeowner, not a renter. Your home must have a physical fenced yard. No underground electronic fencing. Occasionally we will consider a home that does not have a fenced yard but only if the Guardian family agrees to keep the dog on a leash at all times when out of a physically fenced area.
- Feed the food and supplement we require and recommend.
- Training. Families must enroll in the Baxter and Bella online training Program (use discount code WELCOMEACRES to receive 25% off a lifetime membership) and provide proof of training to us. These are basic level classes that provide socialization, manners, and basic commands necessary for a well-behaved dog, not just for one of our future breeding dogs. The time you put in with training will be well appreciated by anyone who comes in contact with your dog. For families who test for the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) and the dog successfully passes, we will honor you with a special gift for a job well done with one of our babies!
- Vaccinations per our vaccine protocol.
- Professional grooming every 4-5 weeks adhering to the approved cut and look at Bark of the Town Pet Spa.
- Monthly photos. We need to see how our dogs are maturing in between the visits they make to our home, plus we just simply want to see them! Photos taken with a phone are fine. We do not need high quality pictures.
- A work schedule that does not leave puppy home alone more than 6 hours a day. If one or both adults in the household work full time, then arrangements must be made so that puppy receives necessary socialization and proper energy outlet opportunities.
- Transporting the puppy/dog to us when needed for health testing and breeding.
The above requirements are simple and look out for the well-being of each of our dogs. They are likely not much more than you’d be doing for your own puppy, if you purchased one outright. If you feel you can meet the above requirements, please complete our application and we will contact you regarding the program.